09-13-2014, 12:05 PM
I just want to say that I wholly agree with what Gouki said about elitist attitudes, even if it's not necessarily in the same context. Many of us came from a previous community that, over time, mutated into a very closed-off and very elitist environment that wasn't welcoming to newer members, many of whom didn't have much experience with what we were accustomed to. As a result, that place eventually stagnated and died.
I don't see that being an issue here. There is no one way to write here at the Omniverse, and in many ways, I feel like the current trio of staff do a good job of showcasing both ends of the spectrum. We have no rules on minimum word counts, so there is nothing stopping you from replicating a more chat-based RP model, where you just quickly go back and forth, exchanging paragraphs or lines of dialogue. Enel (who is Omni) and Ganondorf did this when they first met. You can also post larger chunks between two characters. Samus (who is Omni) and I did this during a few threads. Of course, it helps that the two of us have been collaborating together for our entire adult lives, so we have some idea of how the other operates and know that we're both flexible with what goes on. Then you have me, where I sometimes just like to write by myself, surrounded by a cast of interesting NPC characters.
I like the Omniverse because you can genuinely do whatever you want to do, unless you do crazy stuff like blow up the universe or have someone else's character pull out a 9mm and cap his, her, or itself.
My last point comes from me, Alex the internet writer, rather than Alex the Omniverse Staffer. I've always considered play-by-posts (I've designed a few and been a part of many others, this one included) like this to be writing communities with gaming elements. The thrill of writing characters and stories has always meant more to me than the numbers, although obviously I do get some enjoyment out of building a character and topping the list. The other side of the spectrum is something like a World of Warcraft or a Minecraft server where you chat rp (mostly a game with a creative writing spin).
And I want to go on record and state that I believe I am totally writing fan fiction. I mean, I dress up as Proto Man in real life and want to be an accomplished writer so I can write LEGIT Mega Man fiction. #transparency
I don't see that being an issue here. There is no one way to write here at the Omniverse, and in many ways, I feel like the current trio of staff do a good job of showcasing both ends of the spectrum. We have no rules on minimum word counts, so there is nothing stopping you from replicating a more chat-based RP model, where you just quickly go back and forth, exchanging paragraphs or lines of dialogue. Enel (who is Omni) and Ganondorf did this when they first met. You can also post larger chunks between two characters. Samus (who is Omni) and I did this during a few threads. Of course, it helps that the two of us have been collaborating together for our entire adult lives, so we have some idea of how the other operates and know that we're both flexible with what goes on. Then you have me, where I sometimes just like to write by myself, surrounded by a cast of interesting NPC characters.
I like the Omniverse because you can genuinely do whatever you want to do, unless you do crazy stuff like blow up the universe or have someone else's character pull out a 9mm and cap his, her, or itself.
My last point comes from me, Alex the internet writer, rather than Alex the Omniverse Staffer. I've always considered play-by-posts (I've designed a few and been a part of many others, this one included) like this to be writing communities with gaming elements. The thrill of writing characters and stories has always meant more to me than the numbers, although obviously I do get some enjoyment out of building a character and topping the list. The other side of the spectrum is something like a World of Warcraft or a Minecraft server where you chat rp (mostly a game with a creative writing spin).
And I want to go on record and state that I believe I am totally writing fan fiction. I mean, I dress up as Proto Man in real life and want to be an accomplished writer so I can write LEGIT Mega Man fiction. #transparency
![[Image: proto.jpg]](http://epiqz.com/omni/proto.jpg)
![[Image: DAHost.png]](http://www.omniverse-rpg.com/images/badges/Events/DAHost.png)
Dante's Abyss 2015
Host
