The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1636 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.3.35 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1636 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 912 buildtree




Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Recommended reading
#3
Dark Link Wrote:it was quite rare for me to read anything that didn't directly or indirectly involve my characters.
Same here though it wasn't always the case. When I first started play-by-post RPGs 15 years ago, I used to read other people's IC posts a lot in order to learn 1) how to format my own posts 2) see what were the most popular/best rated writing styles 3) what did people focus on in their posts.

As the years went by, I gradually began to read more books and less RPG posts. This was because a) I was growing sick of reading RPG threads that went inactive before the story was complete and b) I was looking for better quality sources of inspiration to improve my writing. (And what's better than a famous author's best selling novel?)

So then I stopped reading other people's works altogether and focused only on threads that I posted in whilst thinking of captivating scenes I'd recently read and how I could incorporate them into my own stories. (Not outright plagiarism, just borrowing vocabulary and sentence structures.)

These days I try to make an effort to read other people's stuff to get more involved in the communities I play with but if I've got 10 minutes to kill I'd still rather pick up a book than read someone's latest post.
[Image: akumagouki-symbol.png]


Messages In This Thread

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)